Migraine Action can provide journalists with a wealth of information on migraine including:
The key facts about migraine section highlights some of the main facts and figures about migraine.
You can also download a media factsheet which gives an overview of migraine and Migraine Action's work.
This sheet is designed to keep for future reference and contains an overview of migraine and Migraine Action's work, contact details of the charity, and details of spokespeople available.
For further information on any aspect of migraine or Migraine Action's work, please call 0116 275 8317 or email RebekahAitchison@migraine.org.uk
Migraine Action - over 50 years supporting migraineurs in the UK
- Migraine Action (then the British Migraine Association) was launched in 1958. Within a year it had 1,000 members
- Migraine Action is a totally independent membership charity - its core work is funded solely by donations and membership subscriptions
- Migraine Action is a founder member of the World Headache Alliance, and it is also in contact with 25+ lay headache organisations throughout the world
- Migraine Action produces a newsletter for members, "Challenging Migraine", numerous leaflets on all aspects of migraine and its treatment, a telephone helpline, an in-depth website - www.migraine.org.uk, and runs education days for migraineurs and their families across the UK
- An important aspect of Migraine Action's work is to raise general awareness of this still much-misunderstood condition
- Migraine Action raises funds to support specialist migraine clinics, and research into the diagnosis, treatment and cure of migraine and other headache disorders
- In 2004, Migraine Action launched an educational initiative on migraine in children with a lesson plan for 8-11 year olds distributed to schools. A website for children - wwww.migraine4kids.org.uk - was also launched. In 2009 the young migraineurs campaign was relaunched with information packs for parents and carers, children, teachers and school nurses. Three new websites: adventure, for 8 - 10 year olds, explorers, for 11- 13 year olds, and network, for 14 - 17 year olds were also launched. All three websites can be accessed via www.migraine.org.uk/youngmigraineurs.
In 2012 Migraine Action launched a new online / mobile App for young people called 'MiGain'.
- In 2007 Migraine Action launched an official Medical Advisory Board to provide the charity and its members with expertise from a medical perspective. The Chairman of the Board is Dr Andrew Dowson, Director of headache services at King's College Hospital, London
- A key actiivty is ‘Migraine Awareness Week', an awareness raising initiative to focus attention on the condition which begins on the first Sunday in September annually. Each year Migraine Action has a particular theme that it highlights during the week.